Happy New Year! I did not blog over the holidays.
The cold weather is getting more attention than necessary. This is just a temporary inconvenience, and does not need to be headline news in every newspaper.
Fourteen eagles were killed in the past three years in Wyoming at wind farms owned by Duke Energy Renewables. The penalty is $1,000,000.
The company will probably stop the turbines during times of high eagle activity.
“The genome of a young boy buried at Mal’ta near Lake Baikal in eastern Siberia some 24,000 years ago has turned out to hold two surprises for anthropologists.”
I have always been fascinated by anthropology.
The people formerly known as Gypsies refuse to join modern society.
If you need a kidney, go to Beirut. Supply exceeds demand, and prices for kidneys are falling. Hospitals in Beirut are safe.
If “black flight” is stopped, the city stops gentrifying.
Telegraph: White boys ‘the problem’ for Britain’s schools, says Government aide
“Britain cannot expect to flourish economically unless there is a concerted effort to halt academic failure by white boys as they are the “dominant racial group”, a senior Government education adviser has warned.”
In Britain, poor white boys (receiving free lunch) have fallen behind all other groups of poor students. The white boys have fallen behind the black boys.
The end of the article even mentions inherited intelligence.
New York Times: U.S. Adults Fare Poorly in a Study of Skills
The last sentence of the article: White Americans fared better than the multicountry average in literacy, but were about average in the math and technology tests.
So which demographic groups hurt the average U.S. score?
Lion of the Blogosphere just wrote about autonomous cars, and I remembered that I have much to say about this.
These are the big changes that self-driving cars will bring to society:
1. The lives of most teenagers will be much better. Right now they sit in their homes until someone with a car and license takes them out. The teenagers will no longer have to schedule their lives around the availability and generosity of other licensed drivers (usually their parents).
2. The drinking age can be lowered because drunk driving will be non-existent. (Remember, the United States raised the drinking age to 21 because too many young drivers were driving drunk.) The police can stop doing those OWI checkpoints, which means that fewer people will be in jail.
3. Illegal drug dealing will be much easier and safer. Police (in their own autonomous car) will no longer be able to follow a suspicious driver looking for probable cause to make a stop. In fact, the drug dealer need not be in the car at all. The drugs can be placed in the car and delivered to the customer, and the customer can leave payment in the car. (Or maybe the customer pays first.)
4. Jurisdictions that depend on speeding tickets for revenue will have to make some changes.
5. Hackers will cause huge traffic problems.
6. Blind people, the elderly, the disabled, the mildly retarded, and others will be liberated.
7. We will still need mass transit.
I’m ready. I am tired of driving everyday.
Telegraph: Weakest pupils ‘suffer crisis’ of confidence in top schools’
“Parents should avoid sending their less intelligent children to top-performing schools to prevent them from languishing at the bottom of the class, researchers warned today.”
The study comes from the London School of Economics, Centre for Economic Performance.
I’ve always known this, which is why I think all schools should be allowed to set their own admission standards. We can still have schools for the dim-witted students, but those at the top should be allowed to progress faster.
I don’t understand the bizarre axiom that “education is the great equalizer.” It is not. Education is inherently unequal.
Telegraph: Transgender man gives birth in Germany
“Although the father has been taking hormone replacement therapies for years he elected to retain the reproductive organs of a woman.”
“Because he physically gave birth to the child the unidentified man is seen as the mother, however by law he is recognised as a man.”
Remember the 1990 film Kindergarten Cop? Here is some transphobic bigotry from that era:
The movie clip above reminded me of something else. CBS reports that Chicago Public Schools will Mandate Sexual, Health Education for Kindergarten. In addition to teaching children the correct names for body parts, which they already know, the curriculum will include “…different family structures that exist in today’s society.”
Two daddies, two mommies, female daddy, male mommy, two male mommies, etc. Under the new rules, the boy in the clip above would have been corrected for confusing anatomy with identity.
A few years ago I would have been disgusted by these new interpretations of sex and family structure. Now, I decided I don’t care. I am a sexual libertarian. Everyone can do whatever they want, and the government should let a man be listed as mother.
Transgenderism is the hip new trend; everyone is doing it. Cisgenderism is so yesterday.